We approach math and science with lively, hands-on explorative practices. Our collaborative work is thematic, individualized, experiential and comprehensive. We strengthen intellectual curiosity using thematic science units, daily hands-on experiments. Student resources are upgraded, fun, current and relevant. Every student is encouraged to think and move and become an independent, collaborative Thinker/Doer.
We are actively engaged discussing and using mathematical language as we connect essential patterns and concepts throughout our daily studies.
- Students are encouraged to write and share their own math sentences, stories, drawings, etc.
- We use coins, cubes, number fans, graphs, number lines.
- We integrate math with the arts, science, literature.
- We personalize graphs for each student.
- Our number line as well as any concrete tool is accessible whenever a student wants to use it.
- Our number line is uniquely created with expansive symbols, patterns and elements.
- We ask probing questions.
- We work and practice individually and cooperatively.
- We share mathematical insights.
- We learn place value in base ten and base four.
- We connect math concepts to real life events and scientific explorations.
- We compare and contrast, investigate cause and effect, and seek logical, concrete explanations.
- We investigate divergent ideas.
- We encourage positive outcomes.
- We investigate and celebrate mistakes.
- We use concrete manipulates and share our findings.
- We challenge one another to verify and explain outcomes.
- We build, review and practice specific concepts.